Title: Lair of Dreams
Author: Libba Bray
Series or Standalone?: The Diviners #2
Pub. Date: 5 September 2017
After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O’Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. Now that the world knows of her ability to “read” objects, and therefore, read the past, she has become a media darling, earning the title, “America’s Sweetheart Seer.” But not everyone is so accepting of the Diviners’ abilities…
Meanwhile, mysterious deaths have been turning up in the city, victims of an unknown sleeping sickness. Can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld and catch a killer?
- character death
- sex trafficking
- gay MC
- Black MCs
- mixed (Chinese and Irish) disabled (childhood paralysis; uses crutches) ace lesbian MC
- (Note: it isn’t declared on-page that the MC is an ace lesbian until the next book, Before the Devil Breaks You)
- Jewish MCs
- after the events of The Diviners, New York has something else to fend against: a mysterious “sleeping sickness” that’s killing citizens; Evie and the other Diviners have to figure it out before it’s too late
- I don’t really know what to say outside of….it was great!
- Ling! Ling! Ling! Ling! I love her so much, and I’m so glad she’s a Diviner
- her relationship with Henry is amazing, and I enjoyed seeing it develop throughout the novel. I love seeing platonic m/f relationships!
- Evie was getting on my nerves at times, but her behavior is understandable when you think about what she’s been through
- I thought the ending was a bit anti-climatic, but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book; it really starts to set things up for the later books while also being interesting in its own right
Feel free to follow me!
Want to support me? Here’s how!